Welcome back! Today’s post is a very simple but helpful one! Have you ever asked yourself this question?
What do I do with all these potatoes?
I have. What to do after the potatoes start to go bad. Usually, my answer is to make gnocci. Sometimes though, I already have a freezer full of gnocci. Thus, freezer double baked potatoes.
Potatoes can be frozen if they are completely coated in dairy. So while not the most healthy, these sides are very delicious.
What to do
- Bake the potatoes as you normally would
- Let them cool completely.
- Cut each potato in half and scoop the insides into a bowl. Keep the outer edge to re-stuff. (Don’t worry if some tear apart. You will still have enough with the ones that make it)
- Add your desired ingredients to the bowl making sure every bit of potato is completely covered in dairy. (ingredient examples: sour cream, cheese, bacon bits, green onions)
- Scoop the mixture back into the skins.
- Add paprika if desired.
- Freeze (picture above shows this stage)
- When desired, take out of the freezer and bake them one more time.
I cannot tell you enough how handy these twice baked potatoes really are. When grilling anything I just stick these in the oven at 425 and they are typically warm through right when the meat is ready to come off the grill.
It’s not only great to have sides ready in the freezer but to have ready to eat freezer meals as well! Single serving lunches prepped are very handy for taking to work. It’s great to prep multiple dishes at once so you don’t have to eat the same thing all week. Read more tips here: