I’ve mentioned in a few past posts that this year was my first year trying my hand at gardening! I’ve shown some recipes I’ve made using basil and scallions from my garden and here is a great recipe I’ve been making from my zucchini plant!
I actually made this recipe with a store-bought zucchini prior to starting my garden this summer. The zucchini from my garden are so much larger than the store-bought zucchini!
Seriously! Huge! Banana and Benji for reference. 😉
This recipe is actually quite simple.
1 lb ground beef
3 medium sized zucchini (or one really large one)
1 cup of your favorite cheese
1 cup of marinara sauce
1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
Italian seasoning, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder
- Preheat the oven to 350*
- Brown the ground beef on the stove
- Cut the zucchini in half long ways and scoop out the center to make a boat
- Grease a baking pan and add the zucchini to the pan.
- Add the center of the zucchini into the pan with the ground beef
- Add the breadcrumbs, marinara, and cheese to the ground beef
- Add seasoning as desired.
- Add the mixture to the boat. Cook any extra meat mixture in a side dish as a casserole.
- Cook until the zucchini is soft.
This has become one of my favorite meals! It also makes a great freezer meal for the crock-pot. For the crock-pot variation, I chop the zucchini instead of making boats. I pre-cook the meal and add the cooked ground beef, chopped zucchini, breadcrumbs, seasoning, and cheese to the freezer bag. I put the marinara in a sealed sandwich bag prior to adding it to the large bag with the rest of the ingredients.
When I’m ready to make the meal, I let the bag sit out long enough that I can get the ingredients out of the bag without difficulty and I add everything into the crock pot together. The general rule of thumb is 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
Have you made something similar?
86 1 30